Friday, July 22, 2011

The [post] birth story

Don't forget to read my posts about what led up to labor and Brenan's birth!

The instant Brenan was laid on my chest is one I'll never forget, but it wasn't what I expected. I was in a state of shock and relief from the intensity of the moments before. I remember feeling the weight of his body pressing down on mine, and the ups and downs of his breathing. He was warm and still moist; his hair was matted down against his perfect little head. He didn't have the typical cone-head of a newborn... I suppose because he came out fairly quickly and was never stuck in one place for any length of time during labor.


I could feel the umbilical cord laying across my belly, still pulsing, keeping us tied together for just a few minutes longer. According to Joe and I's wishes, the umbilical cord wasn't clamped off until after it stopped pulsing. Then Joe was given the scissors to make the cut that would begin Brenan's lifelong journey of independence.

Brenan's face didn't pinken up as quickly as the doctor would have liked, so they suggested that they take him to the warmer for a quick exam. I handed him over and within a few minutes he was back in my arms. He wasn't crying when he was on my chest, but he did as soon as they took him, so it wasn't long before he got enough air for his face to have a healthy color. (This says something about where he really wanted to be!) His Apgar scores were 8 and 8... practically perfect.


The doctor nicknamed Brenan "the bruiser" because of his size. The average newborn weighs 6-9 pounds and is 19-22 inches long. Our little boy was 9 lbs 6 oz, and measured 21 inches.

Pitocin was started immediately after the birth (without my consent, but it wasn't worth it to me to make a fuss about it), but the contractions seemed so mild compared to the ones I was having minutes before. Brenan was still at the warmer when the placenta was delivered. It's pliability made it almost ignorable as it slipped out the birth canal. The doctor massaging (this is hardly the right word) my uterus with her fist however, was not so pleasant. In fact, I might even classify it as worse than labor. Ladies: if you're going to have a baby, please prepare yourself for this! When they press down to make sure your uterus is hardening and not going to cause hemorrhage, it hurts! It causes a massive contraction and you can feel the leftover fluids from birth gush out (gross, I know). Thankfully, it doesn't last long... plus you get to have your baby in your arms while you experience it, so you have a wonderful distraction to give your attention to instead.

I had a second degree tear, which the doctor said was remarkable considering Brenan's size. I didn't feel it happen, and getting stitches wasn't too bad. I had local anesthesia; although, the place the last stitch went into didn't quite get numbed all the way. So that was bad, but the pain was short-lived.

After he was returned to me from the warmer, Brenan remained on my chest for an hour or so. I'm not quite sure of the time... I was too captivated by his precious face to look at the clock. He nursed for the first time, and nuzzled against me for warmth. Joe and I stared and stared. Our little baby boy was finally here.

The nurse came back in after a while and asked if I was ready to get up and try to go to the bathroom. I was shaky and sore (not just from Brenan coming out, but the muscles in my arms and legs were exhausted, too, from tensing them as I pushed), but I made it to the bathroom okay. Sitting on the toilet was REALLY uncomfortable. It put pressure in all the places I didn't want to have pressure on. At any rate, I wasn't able to pee. The nurse moved the hospital bed out of the room and set up the double bed which came down from the wall. I wandered over and laid back down, all my energy zapped from the short walk to and from the bathroom.

Sometime around 2 o'clock we decided we were ready for Brenan to have his full newborn exam, footprinting, measuring, etc. Joe went with Brenan and the nurse to the nursery while I took a shower. I was also able to pee when I went to the bathroom this time, thank goodness! The shower felt great. My room was, for some unknown reason, around 78 degrees Fahrenheit the entire time we were there, so I was covered in sweat from labor... not to mention blood, amniotic fluid, bits of vernix, and whatever else you come into contact with during labor and delivery. I got a little shaky from standing so long, but they have a fold-down bench in the shower at the hospital, so I just sat down for a while and relaxed in the water, reflecting on everything I had been through in the past 12 hours.

Birth is a wonderful experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The bond that Joe, Brenan, and I established that day has only continued to grow. We are experiencing life together... all three of us both learning and teaching as we go along.

3 comments:

  1. jen- i love your story. i agree, giving birth to your child is so beautiful, and such a bonding experience for the 3 to go through. when i see david with our daughter i love him even more than before. we talked about having another right away, i would love to be pregnant again! but with me starting the nursing program we feel it would be better to wait awhile for #2. i love everything about being a mom! congrats again :) i am so glad that we were pregnancy buddies and now new mommy buddies together :) love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story, and a perfect way to begin your new life as a family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete