Friday, May 6, 2011

Diaper detergent

Joe and I have been set on cloth diapering from the start. We spent hours reading about prefolds, all-in-ones, fasteners, wraps, doublers, and pocket diapers. Not to mention hemp vs. microfleece vs. suede vs. cotton flannel vs. ...well, you get the idea.

We finally settled on using prefolds with Kushies diaper wraps. We'll also have some all-in-ones (AIOs) for when we're out and about. We've invested in cloth wipes and diaper pail liners as well (if you're washing one thing you might as well wash it all, right?).

After the shower in Virginia I started washing some of our baby items, and I did a quick check to make sure I could use my regular baby detergent on the diapers. It's a good thing I did! Kushies suggests "using a quality laundry detergent that is not soap or soap based, and that is also free of both bleach and fabric softeners, as they can adversely affect the performance and lifespan of the diapers."

The Kushies customer service representative gave me a website with a chart comparing different detergents. The ones rated with 5 stars are the best for washing cloth diapers.

After an hour or two of comparing brands and prices, I decided on Thirsties Super Wash. Other brands I checked into included Allen's Naturally, Country Save, Mountain Green Free & Clear, and Tiny Bubbles. We're also going to use Thirsties Pre-Wash to help keep the diapers extra clean and odor-free.

I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment