Friday, May 20, 2011

Wrong day, lady.

Joe and I went to my 36 week check up today at the doctor's office - the appointment was at 10:15. We arrived at 10 o'clock sharp. The doctor was, for whatever reason, running behind, so we ended up waiting.
And waiting.
And waiting...

We were finally called back for the appointment around 11:40.

Diesal getting some love before going on a walk last week.
Now, if you have ever been pregnant before or are currently, you'll understand what I mean when I say I HAD TO PEE. Not to mention I was uncomfortable from sitting so long in the waiting room. (I actually stood up around 11:20, but by that time my bladder was so full I was afraid if I moved around too much bad things would happen to the waiting room carpet...) Once we got back to the room (well, bathroom first, then exam room) things went pretty quickly. Everything checked out okay, and I was on my way out the door.

...Except that the receptionist had gone missing. So then I stood at the check out counter for another 5 or 10 minutes with my growling tummy waiting for her to return. By the time she did, it was about noon. We're down to once a week appointments now, so we got our next one on the calendar and headed to the lab to get my blood drawn.

The hospital here, though there are some things I love about it, is really not that keen when it comes to prompt service. They have to re-register you every time you go - re-enter your information, re-copy your insurance card, re-everything. It took them almost a half-hour to call us back to get registered for my ONE lab order.

Trust me, if anyone understands how stretched my belly is, it's me.
I could have hugged the lab tech when I saw her standing at the door waiting for me as I exited the registrar's office. She took me straight back, drew the lab, and sent me on my way. Finally. By this point, I'm sure you can imagine we were quite tired of waiting and ready to get the rest of our errands run so we could get on with the day.

Joe and I ate at a local soup and salad place for lunch, stopped by the bank, and stopped by the local grocer to pick up a few of their weekly sale items that we'd seen advertized. There was a sample station at the end of one the isles and a woman handing out samples. I think it was for pasta salad. She asked if we wanted any as we were passing; we smiled and said no thank you. Then, after we had already walked far enough past her to have our backs to her she yells out, "You look like you're about ready to pop any day now!"

Wrong day, lady.

It's good for her sake we were in a public place where I didn't want to call any more attention to myself than my protruding belly already does. Otherwise, I think I might have responded a little less politely than the smile and nod I gave as we quickened our pace and went down the closest isle.

2 comments:

  1. Oh MAN! What a day! I hope the cake made everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Sorry for venting! But yes, the cake did help.

    ReplyDelete